Thursday, May 6, 2010

baby, will you be my corona and lime?

We rode the elevator up, but it took us down. And I, considering romantic notions half surrendered to loss, grabbed her hand, stubbornly laughed our way up four floors.

Shadows did not exist under white lights, the moon rendered obsolete. I climbed the ledge and wondered what kittens feel when they fly. She smiled up at me, bashfully, confidently. Her eyes leaked admiration and I could feel the metal inside melting; something like not breathing for a long time and suddenly indulging in unabashed gasps of fresh air, parking lot air, air that smelled like her and full of oxygen that ignites.

A two second distraction was enough to find her again, back to the cement, shoes off. The image of her under white lights, yellow moon, resting directly on cold concrete is one I was familiar with because it had played out in the back of my mind as a broken wish. I laid down beside her, wondering if she’d believed more than I had that we would end up on the fourth light-washed floor of an empty parking lot at 1 in the morning with tangled fingers.

I laid down beside her, as she had known all along that I would.

There’s a constant circle of contemplation tied around my waist, a continuous loop of desires. It is tricky, because I can’t turn too fast or walk too far without becoming twisted in my own ignored thoughts. I flipped onto my side, flipped myself onto you, and in that instant felt the rope go.

I flipped myself onto you as I’d known all along I would.

We can pretend that it was chance. We can pretend that we waltzed into each other’s arms accidentally, that we never noticed the numbers climbing and the security cameras watching us. We can pretend, you and I, we can pretend to be rational and logical but maybe this works because we’re really both one with the moon, racing circles around it, wiping the stars away with bare hands.

Me on top of you, fourth floor of a white parking lot, 2 in the morning, deleting the world for just a few minutes. No, that’s too generous. A couple of seconds, and a couple of seconds was really all we needed.

Time is irrelevant anyway. I knew you during a drunken night, I felt you in my heart the day after. Now, be my corona and lime? I quote song lyrics because it’s easy. And you know what, the plain truth is that I’d rather give you no guarantees. The latter are no different than promises, and those are broken, even when they’re made out of love.

I don't ever want to lie to you.

So. There I was, on top of you. My hands touching asphalt, my body touching you. The moment made us infinite. That’s the fucking point. All I need is the memory, which I’m imprinting on a word document, frantically, before the words escape me. My caffeine is the Corona in this coffee cup. I want to capture this instant. It’s essence. That it happened and that we were infinite.

"Do you have internet access, like, right now?"

Sometimes that’s enough. For now, I want it to be enough.

I come with no guarantees.

Baby, let’s be infinite for now.

1 comment:

  1. Insight
    Give me a moment and I’ll give you eternity
    Bless me with your light and I’ll protect it from extinction
    Show me the worst and I’ll profess these emotions
    Life that enters through your touch I Welcome with such sweet devotion
    I declare my addiction to your being with heart-filled conviction
    Devoured by infatuation, imprisoned by Happyness
    Give me liberty to touch your grace, the beauty found leaves my heart at an unsteady pace
    Blissful state of mind I reach when thyne lips I taste
    Sweet muse inspire me not
    My poison is you and the antidote I was never taught

    ReplyDelete